Recipe: Calamari Margherita Pizza
Everyone loves to make pizza, in part because it's easy and fun to create different toppings for everyone's taste. The Margherita Pizza became famous when a chef invented the dish in honor of the Queen of Italy.
As an excellent source of protein and vegetable toppings, Calamari Margherita Pizza is a filling meal. It is topped with traditional ingredients, crushed tomatoes, sliced mozzarella cheese, and fresh basil leaves, and features sautéd calamari rings. The key to good calamari is occasionally stirring 2 to 4 minutes until fully cooked, but pay close attention - overcooking will impact the texture.
Calamari Margherita Pizza
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Ready in: 35 minutes
● 1/2 cup canned San Marzano crushed tomatoes
● 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
● 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
● 1/4 tsp. minced fresh oregano
● 1/4 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
● 1 lb. pizza dough, room temperature
● All-purpose flour, for dusting
● 8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
● 1 Campari tomato, thinly sliced
● 1 lb. The Town Dock Calamari Rings, thawed
● Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
● 1/2 lemon, juiced
● 1/4 cup large fresh basil leaves
● 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1. Place pizza stone in oven and preheat to 500 F. Combine crushed tomatoes, 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic, oregano and 1/4 teaspoon salt in small bowl.
2. Divide pizza dough into 2 balls. On a lightly floured surface, press each ball into a 10-inch round circle. Transfer dough round to lightly floured pizza peel. Spread 1/4 cup of tomato sauce over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Top with half the mozzarella and tomato slices. Quickly slide pizza onto preheated pizza stone. Bake, rotating pizza halfway through, until crust is golden-brown and cheese is melted, about 5 to 8 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough, tomato sauce, mozzarella and tomato slices.
3. Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add Calamari Rings and cook, stirring occasionally until fully cooked, about 2 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in lemon juice until combined. Top pizzas with Calamari Rings, basil and crushed red pepper flakes. Slice and serve.