Recipe: BBQ Sweet Chili Grilled Calamari
Calamari tubes are really very versatile - they're often used to make rings (don't know how? Check out this episode of Squid Facts) or stuffed with crab, rice, bread, or some other form of goodness.
For this recipe, though, we're really letting them shine. It's no secret that grilled calamari is almost the universal favorite here at The Town Dock. For this recipe, the the sweet chili glaze really brings it to a whole other level. These are great appetizers or a high-protein, low-fat snack or meal.
Like many of these recipes, you can customize this to your own tastes. Cilantro a non-starter? No problem! Like the idea, but not the BBQ? Easy! Customize the sauce, toppings, and dipping sauce to your liking. One of the best things about calamari is that the mild flavor lends itself to so many different applications and flavor profiles. The world is your oyst--- er, we mean squid.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Ready in: 35 minutes
● 1 lb. The Town Dock Calamari Tubes, thawed
● 4 cloves garlic, minced, divided
● 1/3 cup Thai sweet chili sauce
● 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
● Kosher salt, to taste
● 1/2 cup mayonnaise
● 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
● 1 lemon, halved
● 1 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
1. Combine calamari tubes, 2 cloves of garlic, chili sauce, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and salt in large zipper-lock bag, and marinate for 30 minutes.
2. Whisk together mayonnaise, remaining garlic, remaining lemon juice, and cayenne pepper in small bowl. Set aside.
3. Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat and oil grates. Grill calamari, basting with excess marinade as it cooks, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Grill lemon halves, cut-side-down, until dark brown, about 1 to 2 minutes. Serve calamari with grilled lemon and aioli, and garnish with cilantro.