Recipe: Penne with Calamari and Cherry Tomatoes
Calamari with pasta and red sauce is always a classic Italian favorite. While we've loved our recipe for calamari fra diavolo for years now, this recipe is easy to scale how spicy, or not spicy at all, you want it by adjusting the crushed red pepper. The capers and fresh basil really add another dimension to this recipe. With only a few minutes of prep and ready in half an hour, this is a great weeknight dinner that includes heart-healthy seafood.
If you haven't cooked calamari at home before, this recipe is a great intro. The biggest mistake people make is overcooking calamari - it will start to get rubbery - so be sure to stick with the recipe. Calamari cooks fast.
Enjoy our penne calamari recipe! Be sure to take photos and tag us on Instagram.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Ready in: 30 minutes
● 1 lb. The Town Dock Calamari Rings, thawed
● 3 tbsp. olive oil
● 3 cloves garlic, minced
● 3 tbsp. tomato paste
● 1 1/2 lb. cherry tomatoes, halved
● 3 tbsp. capers, drained
● 2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
● 1 pound dry penne pasta
● 1/2 cup packed chopped or sliced fresh basil, plus more for garnish
● Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
● 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring often, until darkened in color, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, capers and crushed red pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes soften.
2. Bring large pot of salted water to boil over high heat. Cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve 2/3 cup of pasta water; drain.
3. Add pasta water to sauce and cook until tomatoes fall apart, about 10 minutes. Stir in thawed Calamari Rings and simmer until fully cooked, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add pasta and basil to sauce and stir until coated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with Parmesan and basil.