Recipe: Arancini Stuffed Calamari Tubes
Arancini are a real delight - deep-fried rice balls with a perfect, melty pearl of mozzarella in the center. For this recipe, we combine the old-world Italian tradition of stuffed calamari tubes and the enduring favorite flavors of Arancini to create a modern spin on both of these classics.
Like the classic rice ball, the first step to our stuffed calamari recipe is to make a risotto. We've included the steps here, but as always, feel free to improvise as you wish! The recipe uses a jar of a favorite tomato sauce to save some prep time, but if you're a die-hard gravy fan, everything is better with homemade.
Our arancini stuffed calamari recipe does not deep-fry the tubes, but rather cooks in the sauce for a few minutes for a healthier alternative.
Enjoy and remember to tag us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or LinkedIn!
Recipe for Arancini-Style Stuffed Calamari Tubes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 36 minutes
Ready in: 46 minutes
● 1 lb. The Town Dock Calamari Tubes, thawed
● 3 tsp. olive oil, divided
● 1 large shallot, minced
● 3 cloves garlic, minced
● 1 cup arborio rice
● 4 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, kept hot
● 3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
● Kosher and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
● 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese pearls
● 2 cups jarred tomato sauce
● 1/2 cup toasted panko bread crumbs
● 2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
1. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add shallots and sauté until softened, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add rice and cook, stirring constantly, until rice is translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in 1 cup hot broth. Simmer on medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until liquid is completely absorbed, about 1 to 3 minutes. Repeat with remaining broth until rice is fully cooked and thick, about 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan, and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.
2. Stuff each Tube with rice mixture until full. Press one mozzarella ball into the center of each tube and seal with rice mixture. Set aside for cooking in tomato sauce.
3. Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tomato sauce and cook until reduced slightly, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Place stuffed Tubes in sauce and cook, covered, until fully cooked, about 2 to 4 minutes. Top each Tube with toasted bread crumbs, remaining Parmesan and basil; serve.