Calamari Fra Diavolo
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 lb. The Town Dock calamari rings and tentacles
- 1 tsp. salt, plus additional to taste
- 1 tsp. dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 can (14.5-ounce) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh basil leaves
- Toss the calamari in a medium bowl with 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. red pepper flakes.
- Heat the 3 tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat in a large, heavy skillet. When heated, add the Calamari and sauté for approximately one minute.
- Transfer the calamari to a large plate; set aside.
- Add 1 to 2 tbsp. of olive oil to the skillet, if necessary, and add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their juices, wine, garlic, and oregano. Simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Return the calamari and any accumulated juices to the tomato mixture; toss to coat, and cook for about a minute so the flavors meld together.
- Stir in the parsley and basil.
- Season with salt to taste and serve.