Recipe: IPA Battered Calamari with Orange Juice Cocktail Sauce
IPA Battered Calamari with Orange Juice Cocktail Sauce
Yield: 12, 8-oz servings
- 6 lb. The Town Dock Calamari Rings and Tentacles
- 2.5 qt. IPA (for marinade)
- 6 fl. oz. orange juice (for reduction)
- 1.3 gal IPA (for reduction)
- ¾ cup parsley, roughly chopped
- 6 oranges
Orange Juice Cocktail Sauce:
- 3 cups cocktail sauce
- 3 oz. orange juice reduction (see step 2.)
- 1 tbsp. orange zest
- 1.5 tsp. horseradish
- 6 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cup cornstarch
- >84 fl. oz. IPA reduction
- 4 tbsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. black pepper
- Marinate calamari in IPA for 1–2 hours before cooking.
- To prepare orange juice and IPA reductions, heat each in its own medium pot on medium high heat. Simmer until each has reduced in volume by half.
- Orange Juice Cocktail Sauce: Combine prepared cocktail sauce with orange juice reduction, orange zest, and horseradish. Stir until combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- IPA Batter: Make right before you are ready to batter your calamari. Combine flour, cornstarch, salt, pepper, and IPA reduction. Whisk into a smooth batter with no lumps.
- Cooking: Pre-heat fryer to 375℉. Place dredging flour in a large bowl. Weigh out 8 oz. marinated calamari for one portion. Allow excess IPA to drip off calamari before dropping it into flour. Toss until all rings and tentacles are evenly coated.
- Shake off excess flour, and coat calamari in IPA batter. Allow excess batter to drip off calamari before dropping into 375℉ oil for 90 seconds. Shake fryer basket to avoid calamari sticking together.
- Plate 8 oz. calamari and garnish with chopped parsley, orange zest, and 3 oz. orange cocktail sauce.