Recipe: Calamari “al Pastor” Tostada
Calamari “al Pastor” Tostada
Yield: 12 tostadas
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- ½ cup orange juice
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp. oregano, dried
- 4 oz. chipotle peppers in adobo, rough chopped
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 2 tbsp. salt
- 2 lb. The Town Dock Calamari Tubes
- 1 lb. pineapple, ¼" thick discs
- 12 each prepared tostada chips
- ¾ cup chimichurri, prepared
- ¾ cup crema
- ¾ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
Pickled Red Onions:
- 1 lb. red onion, julienne
- 6 fl. oz. apple cider vinegar
- 6 fl. oz. distilled white vinegar
- 12 fl. oz. water
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
Pico de Gallo:
- ½ cup red onion, small dice
- 1 tbsp. jalapeño, minced
- ¾ cup red bell pepper, small dice
- ¾ cup yellow bell pepper, small dice
- ¾ cup orange bell pepper, small dice
- ¾ cup green bell pepper, small dice
- Pickled Red Onions: May be prepared 1–3 days ahead. Combine pickling ingredients in a medium saucepot and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Place julienned red onions in a heat resistant container and pour in hot pickling liquid. Cover immediately and let sit at room temp 1 hour. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Al Pastor Marinade: In a large bowl mix together marinade ingredients. Add whole calamari tubes and stir to thoroughly cover in marinade. Cover and refrigerate 45 min. to 1 hour before cooking.
- Pico de gallo: Combine all pico ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Assembly: This is recommended before cooking the calamari, as calamari must be served immediately after cooking and slicing. Spread 1 tbsp. chimichurri on each tostada followed by 3 tbsp. pico de gallo, 2 tbsp. charred pineapple, 1 tbsp. crema, and 1 oz. pickled red onion.
- Cooking: Pre-heat grill to highest heat setting. Grill pineapple discs on high heat until charred on both sides. Dice and set aside until ready to serve.
- Grill 2 oz. marinated calamari tubes (per tostada) on high heat for 60–90 seconds on each side. Slice into ¼" rings and place atop assembled tostada. Garnish with lime and cilantro.