Recipe: Grilled Calamari Chopped Salad with Chickpeas, Olives & Salami
Grilled Calamari Chopped Salad with Chickpeas, Olives & Salami
- 2 pounds calamari (cleaned, whole tubes and tentacles)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled and smashed)
- 2 tablespoons mint (leaves roughly chopped)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 8 ounces Castelvetrano olives (pitted)
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
- 1 English cucumber (cut in half lengthwise, sliced into 1/4-inch half-moons)
- 4 ounces sliced Genoa salami (cut into 2-inch strips)
- ½ cup pickled red onion
- ½ cup mint (leaves roughly chopped)
- ½ cup basil leaves (leaves roughly chopped)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- Chili flakes (to taste)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
In a large bowl, combine calamari, olive oil, lemon zest and juice, garlic, mint and red pepper flakes. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. While preheating, wrap a brick in foil and let heat on grill.
Remove calamari from marinade and place on grill. Top with hot brick. Cook until charred on all sides, about 2 minutes per side. Remove grilled calamari to a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, cut the calamari tubes into rings.
Transfer grilled calamari to a large bowl, along with chickpeas, olives, tomatoes, English cucumber, salami, pickled red onions, mint, basil, lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, chili flakes, salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.
Recipe and image courtesy of ABC’s The Chew.