Korean BBQ Calamari Lettuce Wraps
- 1 cup gochujang hot pepper paste
- ¾ cup honey
- ¾ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp. sesame oil
- 4.5 lb. The Town Dock Calamari Tubes
- 4 heads butter lettuce, leaves gently removed
- 3 cups peanuts, chopped
- 3 cups cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- 24 lime wedges
- 3 cups mayonnaise
- 12 oz. lime juice
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
Korean BBQ Sauce:
- 2 cups BBQ sauce, prepared
- 2/3 cup soy sauce, low sodium
- 1/3 cup gochujang hot pepper paste
Mushroom and Scallion Filling (12 serving):
- 2.25 lb. shiitake mushrooms, med dice
- 2.25 lb. portobello mushrooms, med dice
- 6 cups scallion, ½” pieces
- 2 cup onion, small dice
- ¾ cup garlic minced
- ¼ cup ginger, grated
- 6 oz. lime juice
- 12 oz. soy sauce
- ¼ cup sesame oil
Mushroom and Scallion Filling (1 serving):
- 3 oz. shiitake mushrooms, med dice
- 3 oz. portobello mushrooms, med dice
- ½ cup scallion, ½” pieces
- 3 oz. onion, small dice
- 1 tbsp. garlic minced
- 1 tbsp. ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp. sesame oil
1. Marinade: Mix marinade ingredients together in a large bowl. Add whole calamari tubes and stir to thoroughly cover in marinade. Cover and let sit in the refrigerator 45 min. to 1 hour before cooking.
2. Lime Mayo: Combine ingredients. Stir to form a smooth sauce. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
3. Korean BBQ Sauce: Combine ingredients. Stir to form a smooth sauce. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
4. Prepare chopped peanuts and cilantro. Set aside until ready to serve.
NOTE: Plate cold lettuce wrap components before starting to cook mushroom filling and calamari, which should be cooked simultaneously and served immediately.
5. Pre-heat grill to highest heat setting. Ready all lettuce wrap ingredients for assembly.
6. For one family style platter (serving 4–6): plate 6 butter lettuce leaves, ¼ cup chopped peanuts, ¼ cup chopped cilantro, ¼ cup lime mayo, ¼ cup Korean BBQ sauce, 2 lime wedges.
7. Mushroom Scallion Filling: Prep all ingredients ahead of time and cook off one or two portions at a time to order. To prepare filling, place a small amount of neutral oil in a medium skillet over high heat. Once hot, add mushrooms and sauté for 90 seconds. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and scallion to the pan and cook until onions are translucent. Add ginger and garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Finish mixture with lime juice, soy sauce, and sesame oil, and reduce to a glossy sauce. Plate 8 oz. filling and serve immediately.
8. Grill 4 oz. marinated calamari tubes (per portion) on high heat for 60–90 seconds on each side. Slice into ¼” rings and serve immediately.